Monday, July 14, 2014

Write Into the Marathon Day

I am just reflecting on our Marathon Writing Day in uptown.  For me, the most powerful message of the day was when we  were told to go out, write, and pronounce,  "I am a writer!"  Except for school and academic assignments, up to now my writing has been a private affair.  In my mind I haven't really felt I was ready to proclaim my identity as a writer.  It felt intimidating to announce this to the world.  It is exposing myself in a way that I have not been able to
yet.

When my writing group was at the Romare Bearden Park I was so inspired by Granville when he approached a young man next to him and related to him we were writers.  It opened up a dialogue with the young man and it felt natural that we were identifying ourselves as writers.  By the end of our writing session at the park, I was thinking that maybe I am ready to start telling the world that I am a writer.

At the beginning of the day we were given an article to read.  The end of the article discusses to publish our thoughts, even if it is just a few words in a newsletter.  The SI reflections and blogging we are doing have been part of the growth I am experiencing  as a writer. I am part of a community and my words are being shared daily.

I want to try and have the same sense of writing community with my students this year.  I want them to walk out of my classroom and believe that they are "Writers".

1 comment:

  1. This is a great response to the writing marathon day. I think that identifying oneself as a writer is an important step in the road to writing. I'm glad it was a great day for you as a writer.

    ReplyDelete