Thursday, July 17, 2014

Demo reflections

What a relief to have finished my demo.  My inquiry question started as how can we integrate writing into our science curriculum, but what I discovered is that the writing is already in science.  My new question is how can we embrace the writing that already takes place in science? 

We brought up an interesting point about how to take that formal, technical science writing and turn it into something that non science people can read and understand.  I feel this illustrates one of the reasons it is so important for scientist to be able to write in other genres.  I think it presents an opportunity for overlap between science and English classrooms.

I am still wondering how to work writing into our Discovery Place classes since we have so little time with our students.  I have found that the classes that have a written element whether it's recording observations or data the students seem more focused.  I have observed that writing their findings and predictions helps keep my students on task and less time hitting each other with gaur tails.

I'm interested to see what other suggests and feedback I have on my demo.  Hopefully there will be some ideas to help with my inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment