Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 3 of SI but Day 1 of blogging

Yesterday came with some challenges, but I am proud of myself for powering through even when I wasn't sure how I would do that.  Good thing I'm here in the creative group, so you guys can help me focus and shape my ideas.

The Murray card activity has inspired what will become my self selected piece of writing.  Perhaps coming out of our comfort zones is the different perspective that we need for inspiration.  I enjoyed hearing the feedback from my writing circle.  I also enjoyed hearing all of the great ideas from my group mates.  I can't wait to see how everyone's final pieces turn out.

As far as my demo goes, I will be trying to combine some of our existing science curriculum with more writing and literacy.  These two things might not sound like they would go together, but talking with Emilia today we were able to draw many connections between these two topics.  People probably thought chocolate and peanut butter were weird together too.  I am hoping to be able to use writing to help my students focus and observe their experiments.  I would like them to take more time to think about what they are doing and predict what will happen instead of waiting for me to give them the answer.

Time to go work on my digital project!

1 comment:

  1. Carla,

    I think that your idea of smashing writing, literacy, and science together is kind of what the maker movement is all about. I am excited about trying to do some of this with my classes too, only I am trying to learn and incorporate more of the science stuff. Going to Discovery Place has actually helped me so much with this. The interconnectedness of Science and literacy is everywhere!

    I also agree with the concept of giving students the space to step outside of their comfort zone to help inspire and motivate them. I am interested in trying to do this more in the upcoming school year.

    ReplyDelete