Tuesday, July 1, 2014

And thus, it begins.

Today was a whirlwind of activities. Individually or in groups, we came, we saw, we wrote and drew and commented on and pasted and highlighted a skabillion ideas all working in concert with the myriad of ideas offered by SI's participants and facilitators--and then, it was time to leave, to process, to plan, to juxtapose, to practice, to privately fret and adjust to the bevy of options and objectives before us the next day, the next weeks. 

We even orchestrated a breakfast schedule. Talk about focus.

Ans so, our group has this blog now, and we shall use it to feature the ideas and projects and thoughts of one of four think-tanks intent on amplifying writing in our lives and eventually, our classrooms--and much like the writing process, we're not going to focus on editing just yet. We are going to focus on brainstorming ways to make writing personal and real to students, to give writing a purpose beyond essays and reports--and yet, make writing every bit as important to the writer and the reader.

Stay tuned. 

4 comments:

  1. I think we can all relate to the overwhelming feeling and emotion that we felt after our first day of the institute. When so many amazing minds come together the amount of ideas can overflow to the brim and processing it all can take some time. I am so looking forward to working through some of these ideas and inspirations in the next couple of weeks.

    I am so glad that you mentioned something about ways to focus on making writing personal and real to students. This was a goal that I made for the upcoming school year. It is great to hear that other educators feel the same and will discuss this topic. I think blogging together will be a great way to support each other as we make our way through, not only, the next couple of weeks, but our journeys as educators in general. I am excited to support others as I am supported. I look forward to hearing more from about your groups' inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured it nicely, Granville. My feelings exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granville, this is great! First of all, let me applaud your use of poignant words like “skabillion”. I am very excited about the focus and organization that is present in our institute (breakfast schedule…whoa!). I think it is such an important idea for teachers to be tasked with making “writing personal and real to students”. Sometimes teachers (myself definitely included) get caught up in making sure students know how to write “correctly”. Making this real writing a form of good writing is necessary and possible. Trying to find a way to connect to my students is always a priority, but having them connect to their own writing is almost as/more/equally important. Looking forward to seeing more from you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Beyond essays and reports" is really singing to me here. I was listening to an audio book this morning, in which the author was talking about the idea of "beyond" as the way we reach enlightenment. Pushing ourselves to see what is out there past our seeming boundaries. I really dig how you apply this to writing assigemts

    ReplyDelete