Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 2: Creative, Crafty, Individual Writers

I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of creative energy we've exerted together as a group this week, and it's only been two days. Two things have really made an impression on me, and I'm not sure how, but I think they will all have a place in my inquiry into the creativity of writing...

Memoir: because we all have a story, and no two stories are just alike. Drawing on our memories and experiences from the past help us identify what matters most to us, in writing, in our studies, and in life. It also reminds us what inspires our creativity and what motivates us to finish what we begin.

Crafting: making. As educators and highly educated individuals, we can forget what it feels like to make something without a plan or a design. To craft something functional and fun in complete freedom. In day two we reflected on ways that we are makers, and I was amazed by all the ways that we are creative in our daily lives. Gardeners, greeting card makers, game designers, bakers... these are just a few examples of how we are makers. We practiced crafting from scratch and composing visually, which are two creative mediums that I'm not very skilled in. But that was good for me, because it reminded me what it felt like to struggle with basic mechanics just to communicate my ideas.

In day two of Summer Institute, I observed that we are individuals and it seems the better we know ourselves, the better we understand our creativity: what motivates us, what influences our interests, what keeps us from the creative work what we wish we could do. We are all makers, with our own gifts and styles that are evident even in the silliest and smallest of compositions.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Inquiry! I am along for the ride as we search for "what matters most to us" and how that inspires us to create, to make, and to finish (if that is possible). It is so important to not overlook the creativity which may seem simplistic and mundane. In reality, it is our core nature exerting itself to add something to the world. "The better we know ourselves, the better we understand our creativity"... Brilliant... Electric... and perhaps a bit frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes and yes. I literally just commented on a post that Katie posted on Google + about this topic of unleashing our creativity in every day life. Realizing that we are all creative beings and just embracing and being aware of the creative activities and behaviors we engage in daily. I am happy that you brought these two things to the surface and focused on the creativity that goes into being makers. I feel as if the maker movement has really helped me to embrace my creativity in a different way. I think thinking back to our childhoods and memories from the past helps us to understand why we are the way we are and the creativity that goes along with that. Thank you for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great points to the make movement. I agree on all that you have stated in this blog post. I like the point that you make about crafting as adults. I have found myself much more "creative" now than when I was younger and had time to do it. There is something very calming about using one's creative senses. I think that memoirs are an important part to looking back on our childhood and memories from those times. I find that the details sometimes get fuzzy, but the overall understanding is there. Great points!

    ReplyDelete