Friday, July 18, 2014

The G+ Roundup: Our Summer Institute

When I look back over the G+ community, it feels a bit surreal. Did we really do all THAT in just three weeks? As a community, we have created something pretty amazing.

When I look back, I see teachers finding their identities as writers and also understanding more clearly our roles as teachers. The intersections of our experiences reveal so much about the big picture of teaching writing.


























I see big ideas and thought-provoking activities, leading to people making big self-discoveries or realizations, as writers and teachers.
























I see moments of "wobble", insecurity, vulnerability, frustration, and uncertainty, answered by a supportive, honest, intelligent community.



























I see so much silliness! Humor that breaks the tension, makes light of our worries, and forges stronger bonds between us.




















I see a whole lot of making. 































I see a diverse bunch of people bringing their individual experiences to the table every day, exploring new and uncharted territory, supporting and challenging each other along the way. My favorite thing, I think, has been to witness the many ways we process and engage in shared experiences. I have learned so much from you all! Thank you for sharing.

As I reflect back on our three weeks in the SI, and I scroll the amazing content we have generated as a group, I am truly grateful for my time here. We are writers. We are teachers. We are makers. We are comedians. We are friends. We are a community. One that I hope will be intact for many years to come.

4 comments:

  1. I just got chills. Thank you for putting all of this into perspective. I felt the same way as I was scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling through our online community. I am excited to see where all of this work takes us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right on with capturing our experience during SI. I feel like it is the end of summer camp. It has been a wonderful time of growth and connectiveness and I am not ready for it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you captured the essence of or SI community. Today I have the same bittersweet feeling of departing from an awesome week of summer camp. I know it's time to get back to the regular routine, but already I feel nostalgia to return to our room in Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing, Emilia. So well said! What a perfect round-up, especially this sentence: "I see moments of "wobble", insecurity, vulnerability, frustration, and uncertainty, answered by a supportive, honest, intelligent community." Gave me chills like Erin!

    ReplyDelete